Saturday, November 11, 2017

Hebrews 12

Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,  looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. vv.1-2

Read chapter 12
I use to run cross country in high school.  I wasn't the star varsity runner but my goal each race was to cross the finish line because I wanted to letter by the end of the season.  It wasn't as easy as I thought, but took a lot of discipline and showing up to practice every day after school as well as even some weekends.  By then end of the season I received my first letter in a high school sport.  We can look at our lives with Christ the same as an endurance race.  Anyone can run the race no matter how fast or slow they might be, but the important thing is enduring till the end of this life.  My friend Nathan Johnson described it as, "Many believers receive their salvation, but never seem to get off the starting line when it comes to living a life for Christ. Others start out well, but soon lose interest once the newness has worn off and move on to other things. The majority just seem to cruise through life, going to church and “checking the boxes” of what is demanded by the religious world, but never have much interest or take any steps towards running after Christ." (Do You Want Fries With That Salvation)
Sin and unbelief hinders and entangles our running so what else must we do than to throw it off, lay it aside and look to our joy at the finish line. I, one time, tried to run with three pound weights in each hand.  Three pounds seemed like such a light weight that I thought it'd be easy to run with and hopefully get an extra work out in.  Boy was I wrong.  This little extra weight only got be about half a mile in to my run till I finally laid them aside so I could actually run.  Well trying to run the race Christ has for us with even just a "little" sin will still hinder us.   A way to overcome sin is to see that goal, to look at Christ and the race He ran enduring the cross.  Just like watching an olympic or professional sport and desiring to be like them, our star athlete is Christ and may His race encourage you to run the race set before you.  Where are you at in your race after Christ?  Have you left the finish line?  Have you wondered to stop at a McDonalds in the middle of your race?  What are you feeling entangled or weighed down by that you need to lay aside so you can run your race?

No comments:

Post a Comment