Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Genesis 27

"And Jacob said to Rebekah his mother, “Look, Esau my brother is a hairy man, and I am a smooth-skinned man. Perhaps my father will feel me, and I shall seem to be a deceiver to him; and I shall bring a curse on myself and not a blessing.” vv.11-12

Read chapter 27.
We know from chapter 25 the "older shall serve the younger" (v.23) between Esau and Jacob.  Is this how the Lord intended it to happen or did Rebekah try to take matters into her own hands?  Jacob's name means deceiver and he self-fulfills that prophesy of himself.  When his mom tells him to do this deceiving act he feared more that he'd be discovered then doing wrong.  How true is that in our lives when we know we're getting caught than just doing right?  Jacob we'll see later gets a payback of deceit.  Ultimately God's promise of Abraham's seed would be through Jacob.  God worked through man's faults to keep His promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment