Sunday, September 6, 2015

Job 36

"Bear with me a little, and I will show you
That there are yet words to speak on God’s behalf.
I will fetch my knowledge from afar;
I will ascribe righteousness to my Maker.
For truly my words are not false;
One who is perfect in knowledge is with you." vv.2-3


Read chapter 36
This is Elihu's fourth speech to Job which exceeds that of Job's friends; this is possibly why he says to bear with him a little.  Saying that there are yet words to speak on God's behalf doesn't necessarily mean he going to talk forever to drill in his point.  The idea of Elihu is not so much that "he" had much to say, as that in fact there was much that "could be" said for him.  I know I sometimes get caught up in many words to continue to drill in my point, justification or teaching, etc., but that's not always effective as is the quality of a few words.
There are Chaldeisms in this verse which give a little light to when and where this book was written.  Elihu's reference to one in their presence who's perfect seems to be referring to himself.  No one is perfect except God.  It made me wonder if this is Jesus?  Also one perfect in knowledge could be true of a prophet, one who speaks God's words, not of himself, so wouldn't have man's reasoning or way with words in his speech.  Who do you think this man Elihu is?
How have you seen effectiveness of many or few words of others and of yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment