Monday, December 21, 2015

Psalm 43

Why are you cast down, O my soul?
And why are you disquieted within me?
Hope in God;
For I shall yet praise Him,
The help of my countenance and my God. v.5


Read chapter 43
The writer of this psalm continues to speak out of sadness or depression and in to praise.  Some have said that Psalm 42 and 43 are one psalm or continuation of the first.  In verse five the writer questions his emotions.: Why do I feel so low to the ground if You God lift up the downcast?   Why do I indulge in unreasonable sorrow that benefits no one? 
Then come the words "hope in God."  Sometimes it seems like that's said without belief or just said because not sure what else to say.  In times like these there is a need for patience but ground for hope.  Hope in His promises, not for ourselves but for His will.  "My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials,  knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience" James 1:2-3.  "he hope which is laid up for you in heaven, of which you heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel," Col. 1:5.
The Hebrew word for help here can also mean salvation.  The salvation of his countenance or his face or composure is the praise to God.
What do you do when warring against your own emotions?

No comments:

Post a Comment