Friday, January 15, 2016

Psalm 69

"Save me, O God,
    for the waters have come up to my neck.
I sink in the miry depths,
    where there is no foothold.
I have come into the deep waters;
    the floods engulf me.
I am worn out calling for help;
    my throat is parched.
My eyes fail,
    looking for my God." vv.1-3


Read chapter 69
Do you ever feel like your "drowning" in life?  Feel like your just barely keeping your head above water?
This is a psalm of David, a psalm of heartache crying out to the Lord, ready to throw in the towel.  He's exhausted from crying out for help.  I picture like a child who won't stop crying eventually dries up his mouth and throat and knocks right out.  I feel like I've prayed this prayer before many a times.  When the flood of the enemy and this world overwhelm me.  Hard to believe this was David, a might king, but we need to uremia his hardships: Saul trying to kill him for years and years, his son trying to overthrow him as king, those that hated him for his sin with Bathsheba, etc.  It seems like the closer you get to God the stronger the enemies floods come and raise up against you.  Yet David didn't give up, he didn't throw in the towel.  When he was in pain and distress he still hoped and confided in God's protection (v.29).  
Are you crying out in exhausting right now?  What are you holding on to in the temptation to give in?

No comments:

Post a Comment