Saturday, June 18, 2016

Ezekiel 3

Moreover He said to me, “Son of man, eat what you find; eat this scroll, and go, speak to the house of Israel.”  So I opened my mouth, and He caused me to eat that scroll. And He said to me, “Son of man, feed your belly, and fill your stomach with this scroll that I give you.” So I ate, and it was in my mouth like honey in sweetness. vv.1-3

Read chapter 3
Ezekiel literally ate a scroll.  We will see Ezekiel do many strange things as signs to Israel from God.  It's weird, but in this case we can take it as applicational as a metaphor that we would eat up God's words, that "man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds of the mouth of God" (Matthew 4:4).  Ezekiel was eating the word of God so that it was in him internally, "he was taking it into his own life so that it became a living, breathing, burning passion, fire within his own soul" (Nancy DeMoss).
I love that it says it tasted like honey in sweetness.  The Word of the Lord is a sweet treat, it can be hard to stomach at times but is always good to our soul.  Ezekiel took delight in having God's secret counsel and being chosen to be an instrument of God to the people, yet later realizing the weight of the message and the divine judgements he felt grief and anguish.  
How has God's word tasted sweet to you?  How has it caused you anguish?  Does God's word have burning passion inside you?  What are you doing about it?

No comments:

Post a Comment