Saturday, June 4, 2016

Ruth 1

But Ruth said:
“Entreat me not to leave you,
Or to turn back from following after you;
For wherever you go, I will go;
And wherever you lodge, I will lodge;
Your people shall be my people,
And your God, my God.
17 Where you die, I will die,
And there will I be buried.
The Lord do so to me, and more also,
If anything but death parts you and me.” vv.16-17

Read chapter 1
The book of Ruth is such a unique and wonderful book mixed in with all the historical books of the laws and kings as one of everyday commoners.  It's an important book that shows how a gentile woman becomes part of the lineage of Christ.
I love these words of Ruth showing her dedication not only to her mother-in-law despite the death of her husband but also to Jehovah God.  She chooses to leave the gods of the Moabites and follow the One God of Israel.  It's unknown how much she knew of God of Israel, but having been married to a Jew and seeing the relationship and dedication of Naomi and her family had an impact on her.  I can imagine how hard  it could be to make the decisions Ruth and Orpah made, choosing a comfortable life being able to marry again or an unknown life perhaps never marrying again.  Yet the mindset Ruth has of sticking with her mother-in-law and her God no matter what the truth may be is one we all ought to have, that no matter what life brings we will follow and cling to the Lord God in all truth; nothing will change her or our mindset.
What godly woman, marriage or family has had an impact like this on you to follow after Christ?  How can you determine this mindset for the rest of your life in walking with Christ?

No comments:

Post a Comment