Sunday, January 22, 2017

1 Chronicles 4

Now Jabez was more honorable than his brothers, and his mother called his name Jabez, saying, “Because I bore him in pain.” And Jabez called on the God of Israel saying, “Oh, that You would bless me indeed, and enlarge my territory, that Your hand would be with me, and that You would keep me from evil, that I may not cause pain!” So God granted him what he requested. vv.9-10

Read chapter 4
A little glimpse of detail in this chapter of genealogy list.  Seems rather abrupt to have a two verse story in the midst of names, but it's just like being in a desert and finding a little oasis.  We read of this man named Jabez whose name was given to him by his mom because he caused her much pain in his birth, so his name literally means "He will cause pain."  What an unfortunate name right?  Yet look at his integrity.  In scripture he is characterized by being more honorable than his brothers- a pretty sweet way to be described by God I'd say.  But he also desires to not live up to the name people call him since it is a demoralizing name.  Sure he caused his mother pain (I don't know what birth doesnt cause the mother pain), but this doesnt mean he will always cause his mother pain or others for that matter.  Like Jacob whose name means deceiver ultimately was the one deceived and no longer was know as the deceiver but given a new name, Israel, and know for the fatter of the twelve tribes of Israel that make up all the Jews and God's set apart nation.  So Jabez prays to the Lord that he may not cause pain and God granted his request. My name isn't Jabez, but I often pray that I may not cause anyone pain due to my sinful nature.  Our name today may not mean something harsh, but what character trait name do others give you (or you give yourself) that you want to be free from?  

No comments:

Post a Comment