Sunday, January 1, 2017

Esther 7

Then Queen Esther answered and said, “If I have found favor in your sight, O king, and if it pleases the king, let my life be given me at my petition, and my people at my request.  For we have been sold, my people and I, to be destroyed, to be killed, and to be annihilated. Had we been sold as male and female slaves, I would have held my tongue, although the enemy could never compensate for the king’s loss.” vv.3-4

Read chapter 7
The King has now asked Esther a third time what her petition and request is and that whatever it is will be given to her, up to half the kingdom (v.2).  Just because she had a wide open door to make her request she waits.  If she would have responded the first time the King asked her there would have been a different outcome.  Surely she had godly wisdom for His perfect timing even if she didn't understand or know God's orchestrating.  So now she makes her petition and if you notice she uses the same wording Haman used to make the edict to destroy, kill and annihilate the Jews (3:13), so the king would know exactly what she was talking about.  I like to realize how Esther persuasively presented this to the king and how we can learn from it.  Notice that she's not some crazed wife yelling at her husband to sign us a decree, she isn't crying or losing her emotions, nor does she attack her husband's right hand man.  She shows respect to the king.  Notice that she calls her husband King.  Men need to feel respected and she knows that if he feels her respect he's more likely to honor her request.  Because the king cares for her she then goes on to appeal to her life in danger.  She focuses on his best interest rather than her own, what his loss would be over hers.  "She doesn’t throw accusations at the king. Instead she makes this humble, respectful, specific request" (Nancy DeMoss).  When you appeal to your husband or your boss or authorities in your life do you appeal humbly, respectful, specific? How can you change from attacking leaders for their decisions and petitioning your requests to one of respect?

No comments:

Post a Comment