Wednesday, April 26, 2017

Joshua 23

“Behold, this day I am going the way of all the earth. And you know in all your hearts and in all your souls that not one thing has failed of all the good things which the Lord your God spoke concerning you. All have come to pass for you; not one word of them has failed. v.14

Read chapter 23
I hate good byes.  They always seem so awkward, or maybe it's just me.  But I need goodbyes too.  I regret it if I don't get to even just give a quick hug to someone that I may never see again.  I feel like I have to say goodbyes a lot because of people moving, me moving, deaths, etc.  Well Joshua is saying goodbye here and his farewell speeches are in these last two chapters of the book of Joshua.  His goodbye isn't just because he's moving, he's about to die. He is old now, easily over 100 years old.  Notice how he says he's going "the way of all the earth."  All die and return to dust (see Ecclesiastes) and that includes this amazing godly man Joshua.  His departing words aren't talking about himself, but of remembering what the Lord did and encouraging them on to follow the Lord whole heartedly for the future.  As I am leaving a ministry and a community I have been a part of and lead my specific area for over five years I'm passing the baton and saying my farewell.  It's a bitter sweetness.  I know the Lord is leading me on to the next journey He has for me but I'm going to miss this  people and place so much.  I have felt loved well and trust that those taking on my job after me have the heart for the ministry to continue on it's good work.  As Nancy DeMoss Walgamuth said in a comment on Joshua's parting words, "You want them attached not to you but to God's Word."  And that's exactly what we see Joshua saying here in his last words and definitely what I hope and strive for too.  Joshua never takes credit for God's work, he continues to point people to God all his days. 
What are goodbyes like for you?  How can you leave people more attached to God than to you?  Has anyone been that influence on you?  What was it about them?

No comments:

Post a Comment