Tuesday, June 27, 2017

1 Corinthians 12

But now indeed there are many members, yet one body.  And the eye cannot say to the hand, “I have no need of you”; nor again the head to the feet, “I have no need of you.” No, much rather, those members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary.  And those members of the body which we think to be less honorable, on these we bestow greater honor; vv.20-23

Read chapter 12
I love this illustration of unity.  Just as we need all parts of our body as they all have different functions that are needed, so in unity with others all are needed for who they uniquely are.  Sometimes you don't realize how useful a body part is till it's gone or broken.  When I was in a back brace I lost any abdominal muscles I had so once I got out of the brace and tried to do a plank ab exercise I feel over immediately.  I quickly realized how necessary strong abs are.  If the whole body were an eye it wouldn't be able to hear, or if the whole body were a head it couldn't get anywhere without feet.  Some parts that other people value more doesn't make other parts useless. Yet body parts can't compare itself to another and the believer ought not to compare either to other believers.  Each member needs the other and not one can stand alone.  When one part of the body is hurting the whole body is in pain and if one part is healthy it helps the rest of the body be strong.  So the direct correlation with how we ought mourn and rejoice with our fellow members.
What are "weaker" parts in an area of unity you're in that you need to pay more honor to?

No comments:

Post a Comment