Sunday, June 4, 2017

Judges 10

He judged Israel twenty-three years; and he died and was buried in Shamir. After him arose Jair, a Gileadite; and he judged Israel twenty-two years. vv.2-3

Read chapter 10
For 55 years there were two judges in Israel: Tola and Jair.  Not much is said about them or what happened in their time.  Isn't that how it usually seems to be, that when things are good not much is noted but when things are all up in shambles so much is remembered.  Matthew Henry notes, "Quiet and peaceable reigns, though the best to live in, yield least variety of matter to be spoken of. Such were the days of Tola and Jair. They were humble, active, and useful men, rulers appointed of God."
I think of those people that love drama in their lives and create or keep it going instead of being able to enjoy quiet and peaceful days.  On the flip side I know I can sometimes get frustrated when others note things I did wrong or things I didn't give rather than things I did right or what I did give of what's remembered or noted about me in their book.  Days that are crazy and very eventful can be super fun but draining and I crave those mundane days for rest for my body and soul. Those may not be the days I have the fondest memories of, but there the days that get me through the crazy ones.  How do you take advantage of quiet and peaceable days or seasons?  Do you always need drama in your life?  If so why? If not, how do you find quiet and peace to guard against the craziness?

No comments:

Post a Comment