Wednesday, July 12, 2017

2 Corinthians 11

Are they ministers of Christ?—I speak as a fool—I am more: in labors more abundant, in stripes above measure, in prisons more frequently, in deaths often.  From the Jews five times I received forty stripes minus one.  Three times I was beaten with rods; once I was stoned; three times I was shipwrecked; a night and a day I have been in the deep; vv.23-25

Read chapter 11
I can't even imagine all that Paul suffered.  He lists his sufferings here not to boast but to combat those that were boasting in themselves.  Paul calls it a foolishly to speak so but will do to make his point (vv.16-21).  Now what we will notice as Paul lists off his sufferings is that Paul died and was resurrected numerous times!  Crazy right?  It seems like Lazarus and Jesus are the only ones in scripture resurrected, but there are so many more that are "less known."  Bible Teacher Nathan Johnson describes this passage:
Paul says here that he was “in deaths often.” I believe that this means that Paul was dead more than even this one time. In fact, in verse 25 of the same chapter he says “a night and a day I have been in the deep.” Since the “deep” refers to below the surface of the water, there can be little doubt but that Paul drowned. Thus even in this passage we see other times that Paul died..Others argue that Paul means he was on the verge of death many times, but did not actually die. Yet when Paul referred to being near to death, he would speak as he did in Philippians 2:27, when he said of Epaphroditus, “he was sick almost unto death,” or as he said of him in verse 30, “he came close to death.” Paul does not say in such a case that he was “in death.” Thus I believe that the right conclusion to make here [Acts 19:14] is that Paul was stoned, and he was dead. Yet as we are about to see, God raised him from the dead!
What are you willing to suffer for Christ?  Do you know of His glorious riches that make the suffering worth it?

No comments:

Post a Comment