Wednesday, July 5, 2017

2 Corinthians 4

We are hard-pressed on every side, yet not crushed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed— vv.8-9

Read chapter 4
Does anyone else sing the song "Trading My Sorrow" that you learned from childhood Sunday school when you read these verses?  I love the song full of energy but it's also full of amazing truths and encouragement.  At times we feel like we cant handle any more, we can; at times we are so confused and overwhelmed, we find something to hold on to; at times we're hunted down by those in opposition, we find an open door of escape; at times we are knocked down, we are never knocked out.  We don't necessarily get to choose our troubles but we get to choose how we will have victory in them for Christ.  An articles of a sermon I read on the internet by Ray Prichard summed it up well what Paul is saying here about victory in Christ:
Paul’s view of “victory” means, “Yes, I face trouble every day, and sometimes I despair of my own life. I’m under pressure all the time. I get confused. People attack me. Sometimes I get knocked down by life. But that’s when the power of Christ shows up to help me. If I have victory, it is victory through trouble not victory apart from trouble.” That’s the message we need to hear today.
So how can you endure with the hope of Jesus Christ through troubles you're facing today to find victory?  It's like a workout video I do, that the instructor always says "Just when you think you want to give up, give it one more." 

No comments:

Post a Comment