Saturday, July 8, 2017

2 Corinthians 7

For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. v.10

Read chapter 7
Paul had written a harsh letter to the Corinthians that he regretted for a moment thinking it was too harsh.   But his harshness of loving hard led to the Corinthians repentance that Paul then no longer regretted because it helped them.  Godly sorrow of what saddens God verses worldly sorrow of men bowed down under their burdens or fear of punishment by man.  One leads to freedom and the other to death.
How often do people not want to tell someone the truth because it can be harsh at times and don't want to hurt their feelings even though in the long run it helps them?  I may feel embarrassed if someone tells me a booger is hanging out my nose but thankful someone tells me right away than going a whole day with no one every saying anything to me till I realize when I go home at night.  But also I don't want to regret not telling someone something that could save them so much pain later in life.  I always respect one of my friends for telling her friend right before she was going to be married a truth about her soon to be husband that led to calling off the wedding.  That may have seemed really harsh in the moment but saved what trap of that marriage could have been.  Just like 1 John 3:18 says, "Let us not love with word or tongue but with actions and in truth."
When have you experienced godly sorrow that lead to good?  Who do you need to love with some hard truth?

No comments:

Post a Comment