Friday, January 5, 2018

Lamentations 3

Through the Lord’s mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.
24 “The Lord is my portion,” says my soul,
“Therefore I hope in Him!” vv.22-24


Read chapter 3
I had a hard anguish type day last week that I just couldn't seem to kick, even as I laid on my bed at night I tossed and turned and just cried out in prayer to the Lord for what was troubling me.  When I woke up the next morning my soul felt renewed, my problems weren't solved but my spirit was refocused and started anew that day.  I immediately recalled this verse of the Lord's mercies are new every morning.
This book is the prophet Jeremiah's lamenting, his cry of anguish; yet in the middle of it he praised the Lord and has hope as we read here in these verses in the middle of this long chapter of anguish.  Remember all of Israel and Judah have just gone into captivity and Jerusalem has been destroyed, I'm sure smoke was still in the air from its destruction as Jeremiah is looking on Jerusalem and writing this. And what do we see Jeremiah remind himself?  

  • The Lord's compassions never fail
  • The Lord's mercies are new every morning
  • The Lord is faithful
  • The Lord is all he needs- his portion
You may be thinking how could anyone cry out in the middle of such loss and anguish or only a prophet can do that.  The reason though is that Jeremiah knew God could triumph over any trouble and turn a curse into a blessing, he knew God's character and promises that he could cling to and trust in.  Even through hard times the Lord is working, He has not abandoned, He gives us the strength we need for each day.
How can you lift up your head to the God of mercy in a time of anguish in your life?  



No comments:

Post a Comment