Tuesday, January 16, 2018

Romans 9

I tell the truth in Christ, I am not lying, my conscience also bearing me witness in the Holy Spirit,  that I have great sorrow and continual grief in my heart.  For I could wish that I myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my countrymen according to the flesh. vv.1-3

Read chapter 9
Paul's almost seems as if he's taking an oath here that he is willing to die for his brethren. Seems like he's taking a charge to words spoken against him.  Paul's conscience and the Holy Spirit bearing witness of this sorrow and heaviness of heart for his fellow Israelites. Paul was an apostle, a commissioned one of God, so having the Holy Spirit as witness was not just a mystical thing to say, but if lying could fall down dead right there like Ananias and Sapphira (Acts 5).  This sorrow and heaviness Paul was feeling was because they were rejecting Christ.  He wished himself accursed from Christ.  Accursed means a severing.  Paul was wishing himself severed or cut off from Christ if it meant his fellow brethren could be saved.  Of course that's not how it works, but that's how much he wished they were saved by faith.  He was trying to tell them that's it's not of the law and because they are the seed of Abraham that they'll receive salvation.  Being Israelites were permitted so much as we read in the following verse four for as to Israel was the adoption, glory, covenants, law, services and promises of God- none which were for gentiles.  At this time Israel had not yet lost their privileged position over other nations, yet many of them were still rejecting the promised Messiah- Jesus Christ.  Paul's trying to get across that just because they were privileged people being born of Israel, because they rejected Christ through faith they are not saved. 
Can you feel Paul's pain in your own life?  Certain people that may have grown up in a Christian home or church yet reject Christ?  Sorrow for people to the point that you'd trade in your salvation so that they could be saved?

No comments:

Post a Comment