Friday, April 24, 2015

Psalm 37

"Do not fret because of evildoers, nor be envious of the workers of iniquity...Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of your heart." vv.1,4

Read chapter 37.
When I first became a believer I thought being a Christian was about following certain rules I had to follow.  I'd become envious of my old life and wanted to still partake in that thinking it was more fun.  I struggled giving up certain sins because I enjoyed them too much.  Many in our culture today buy into the lies of what we see on tv, in movies and the way of this world of the attractiveness of sin that that's what is really fun and will make you happy and that you're missing out if you don't partake.  This is such a lie!  We are not to be envious of evildoers and find the true joy that being with Christ means and is.  This verse also tells us not to fret of evildoers.  How often do we live in fear of men than fear of the Lord?  Yes we need to be smart and protect ourselves from evil but to not let it consume us and hinder us from living free in Christ.
I love verse four and pray not that my selfish desire would be granted but that His desire would become my desires and not the other way around.  This will come as we delight ourselves in the Lord.  The first meaning I found of definition of the word delight is "a high degree of pleasure or enjoyment" (dictionary.com).  Can you say you delight in the Lord?  What are desires of your heart?  Can you tell if they're of the Lord or of selfish means (even if something good)?



No comments:

Post a Comment