Sunday, April 26, 2015

Psalm 39

"My heart was hot within me;
"While I was musing, the fire burned.
Then I spoke with my tongue:
Lord, make me to know my end,
And what is the measure of my days,
That I may know how frail I am.
Indeed, You have made my days as handbreadths,
And my age is as nothing before You;
Certainly every man at his best state is but vapor. Selah" vv.3-5

Read chapter 39.
In this psalm David seems to be bottling up inside of him.  To keep himself from sinning he was silent and still and didn't even say anything (v.2).  He is gazing into the fire, similar to how one can be mesmerized by the fire and cause you to think and contemplate many things in life.  Yet David keeping to himself burned inside him and he could no longer hold in his frustration.  How often do we try to keep stuff in only to be burning inside of us no matter if it's a good thing or bad.  He doesn't explode though on his enemies but goes to talk to God.  He's still dealing with his enemies and wonders if he's at the point of death.  How different we might act if we would know the day and time we would die.  Our life is short, a handbreadth which is average about six inches, a short measurement.   So what might you be keeping in that is burning to come out?  How would you live differently if you knew how many days you had left in this life?


No comments:

Post a Comment