Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Psalm 121

I will lift up my eyes to the hills—
From whence comes my help? v.1


Read chapter 121
It took me three times to make it to the top of Half Dome in Yosemite National Park, the first two times I gave up was at the last extreme incline of about 400 feet long.  The first time I gave up because it was so steep and I was unprepared  not having enough food and water and also a little intimidated at the age of 15, the second time because I was all by myself and the cables to climb were down (not allowed to climb therefore).  Yet the third time, I was determined and prepared and it was thee hardest and best hike I've ever done.
The sojourner from psalm 120 is now on his journey to Jerusalem from the foreign land he had been in for so long.  He lifts his eyes up to the hills and ask where does his help come from.  I'm sure looking at the hills or mountains, Jerusalem seemed a long ways off and wondering if he could even make the long arduous journey or what was on the other side.  But the following verse answers any question of doubt he may have had, "My help comes from the LordWho made heaven and earth."  No big obstacle can stop the help of God.  The earths turf is God's turf.
I wonder if this is where the phrase look up to God came from, how good and true it is. We ought to look up and out to God and not down at the ground.  Looking up and out shows confidence where looking down shows depression.  Satan will do whatever it takes to keep our eyes on sorrow that we may be discouraged, but God who is above all things is the summit of our desires that we ought to look to and have as our motivation for any terrain.   
Where have you been looking during a difficult journey in life?   What connection do you see in God being the creator of heaven and earth as your help?

No comments:

Post a Comment