Sunday, October 30, 2016

Psalm 139

How precious also are Your thoughts to me, O God!
How great is the sum of them! v.17

Read chapter 139
My love language is thoughtfulness.  I know that wasn't one of the five love languages listed in the book by Gary Chapman, but over the years I've realized that it is one for me.  What I mean by feeling the most loved by thoughtfulness is that it brings me the greatest joy when someone does something for me unexpected or when I'm not around.  It shows that someone was thinking about me not just because I was present but because I was absent. It shows me that someone cares to go out of their way to do something for me no matter how simple the matter that they just thought to do it.  Even when maybe a surprise fails, the saying is true to me, that it's the thought that counts.  Maybe it means so much to me because I feel forgotten a lot.  Forgotten by friends, forgotten by family, forgotten by community, even feeling forgotten by God.  But this verse restores that love language of thoughtfulness when David the psalmist says how numerous and how precious God's thoughts are to him, and to us too!  They're not only a great sum but more than the sand of the sea as we read in the following verse.  When one person writes me a card it makes my week, can you even imagine if we grasped everything thought of God towards us?  I'd be in seventh heaven.
Our emotions are strong, aren't they, ladies? Our hearts can easily lie to us. "God doesn't really love me."
But His truth is stronger than our emotions. Let's stand on the eternal reality of our Savior's love for us; let's remember that "by this we shall know that we are of the truth and reassure our heart before Him; for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and He knows everything." (1 John 3:19–20

No comments:

Post a Comment