Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Proverbs 19

Chasten your son while there is hope,
And do not set your heart on his destruction. v.18


Read chapter 19
Now I'm not a mother (yet), but even when I babysit I hate disciplining children.  It's hard.  It's a lot of work and energy, and I only watch kids for a couple hours- I can't imagine the constant being on top of it as a parent.  Yet it is so necessary.  Children crave boundaries and may push those boundaries to test the limits, but it helps them feel secure knowing their limits.  Boundaries and disciplines when they are young help them when they are older practicing self-control in other areas of life, especially when their parents aren't controlling their boundaries any more.  I wasn't disciplined much as a child, not because I was always good but my parents gave me more freedom than boundaries, possibly not knowing how to discipline me.   What I missed out on of not having discipline and boundaries has been a hard thing to learn and practice as an adult that I wish I would have learned as a kid. 
Denise Glenn, founder of a ministry for mothers called Motherwise, notes and encourages parents:
It is time consuming. It's exhausting. It's emotionally draining. But if you will invest in the hearts of your children, if you'll love them enough to discipline them, the fruit of their lives watching their lives as they have internal boundaries and can go about God's business in their lives is amazing, and it's worth it.
How do you discipline your children?  How were you disciplined as a child?  What help do you need to help you raise up your child(ren) with proper discipline?

No comments:

Post a Comment