Monday, August 24, 2015

Job 19

"My breath is offensive to my wife,
And I am repulsive to the children of my own body.
18 Even young children despise me;
I arise, and they speak against me.
19 All my close friends abhor me,
And those whom I love have turned against me." vv.17-19


Read chapter 19
This isn't just to say Job had bad breath but that even his wife, most dearest to him, he has become an offense to.  She can't even tolerate him.  I know for me bad breath is a huge turn off and hard to focus on what the person is saying being distracted from the smell of their breath, but then there's the time I'm sitting next to my boyfriend having coffee and reading scripture together and the coffee breath doesn't bother me as much because I'm just so happy to be sharing the moment with him.  I guess they didn't have toothpaste back then but also didn't have most of the foods we eat today to cause bad breath.  Well the other part of these specific verses talks about his children.  It's hard to say exactly what this means here since we know from the beginning of Job that his children were killed.  This could be signifying his grandchildren or children of concubines or perhaps not all his children were kill except those dining with the older brother?
Can you imagine what it'd be like to have even those closest to you to abhor you?  How would you respond?

No comments:

Post a Comment