Monday, August 10, 2015

Job 5

"“But as for me, I would seek God,
And to God I would commit my cause—" v.8

Read chapter 5 Note the emphasis on "I" in contrast with you (Job).  The way Eliphaz speaks could be read as if he has it all figured out and knows the perfect response and answer for Job.  How often do we think we know what's right or better for someone and try to impart are ways in a passive aggressive way or tone?  It could also be in a form of advice if he were in Job's shoes.  Sometimes I just want to know how someone else would respond in a situation so I can make a judgment based on that or make someone else's judgment my own.  
Eliphaz is continuing to base his argument on human reasoning of earning or deserving what you were dealt. Yet we see from other parts of scripture that God doesn't treat us according to what we always deserve: "He has not dealt with us according to our sins, nor punished us according to our iniquities." Psalm 103:10
How often do we think we know something yet later realize we didn't know?  "And if anyone thinks that he knows anything, he knows nothing yet as he ought to know." 1 Cor. 8:2

No comments:

Post a Comment