Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Job 23

"I would present my case before Him,
And fill my mouth with arguments.
I would know the words which He would answer me,
And understand what He would say to me." vv.4-5


Read chapter 23
These words Job speaks now, but once God speaks up to him he doesn't respond this way at all.  Now he's appealing to God to contend and argue with him instead of complain of his shame and meekness.  He wants to prepare his arguments to go before the Judge, seeming as if he is not guilty of what his friends are accusing of him.  He wants to fill his mouth with arguments to prove and justify his innocence.  Oh how often I fill my mind and mouth with words to defend myself both to prove when I'm right and also when I'm trying to cover something up.  I always have the need to justify myself.  Then Job claims he would know the words God would answer him and understand.  This tone seems too bold or prideful for a man to say, yet some commentaries say that this is a wish to know and understand God's decision in this case.  God's judgment was "infinitely more importance than any opinion which "man" could form, and Job was anxious to have the matter decided by a tribunal which could not err. Why should "we" not desire to know exactly what God thinks of us, and what estimate he has formed of our character?" (Barnes Notes on the Bible). 

No comments:

Post a Comment