Saturday, February 27, 2016

Ecclesiastes 2

"I searched in my heart how to gratify my flesh with wine, while guiding my heart with wisdom, and how to lay hold on folly, till I might see what was good for the sons of men to do under heaven all the days of their lives.  I made my works great, I built myself houses, and planted myself vineyards." vv.3-4
Read chapter 2
Solomon goes on to list what he partook in to see what was worthwhile.  First he tries cheering himself with wine; thinking that alcohol brings happiness, and maybe it does for a quick moment, but we all know it doesn't last.  How often do people drink wine or other type of alcohol to be "happy"?  What may be your reason to drink?  
Solomon goes on to mention "embracing folly" which we don't know specifically what type of folly he's referring to here but can speculate of the many things that drinking alcohol can lead to or authoring he later mentions he tried.  
Next Solomon lists great projects he undertook.  These projects listed are successes in the world's eyes bringing fame to himself for all he did and accomplished.  Its' not bad to have projects to provide for yourself and family and make a living, but to do it out of pride and for appearance sake is vain.  He also just seems to keep himself always busy and never time to enjoy what his hands have done.  Does this sound like someone similar to you or maybe yourself?  Are you constantly keeping yourself buy to pass time or look good to the world than enjoying the moments of this life?  
In all this Solomon's God-given wisdom stayed with him.  He wasn't ignorant of the folly he was partaking in.  What Godly-wisdom might be speaking to you in your folly?

No comments:

Post a Comment