Monday, February 22, 2016

Psalm 84

"For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness." v.10


Read chapter 84
One of my favorite psalms.  My friends and I made up music to go along with this whole psalm which made for a fun and easy way of memorizing the whole psalm but also express the truth through more emotions.  This chapter is also an inspiration of the famous worship song "Better is One Day ."
How would you describe a perfect day?  When has been a day that you've just been happy all day?  What was it about that day?  Now think about what one day with the Lord would be like.  Is that something that your soul longs for?  
"The psalmist is saying here, 'I would rather be able to spend one day in or near the place where God is than to spend any length of time with those who don’t love God, the ungodly.' He’s talking about the blessings of being near God. It’s not a deprived way to live.  I think sometimes we think, 'If I trust the Lord—really trust Him—if I surrender my life to Him completely, I’ll be miserable. Maybe God will make me stay single. Maybe He’ll never let me get married, or maybe God won’t bless me with a child, or God will make my life hard in some way.' I want to tell you that if you trust your life to God or if you don’t trust your life to God, life will be hard. One way or the other, life is hard. But I want to tell you, if you do trust your life to God, life may be hard, but it will be blessed" (reviveourhearts.com).
Do you long for even just one day with the Lord than a thousand days elsewhere?   Sometimes I feel like my job is like a "doorkeeper," a job no one really thinks about or cares about, but I remind myself I'd rather be a doorkeeper in this ministry I'm in than to not be apart of it all and then I find so much joy and long for nothing more.  Would you desire to be a simple doorkeeper just to be in the house of God?


No comments:

Post a Comment