Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Psalm 77

I cried out to God with my voice—
To God with my voice;
And He gave ear to me
In the day of my trouble I sought the Lord;
My hand was stretched out in the night without ceasing;
My soul refused to be comforted. vv.1-2


Read chapter 77
Do you ever feel like this, your soul refusing to be comforted?  You know the answer is to go to God but when you do your soul is still in anguish?
Like Jacob over the loss of his son Joseph or like Rachel weeping for her children we read of the psalmist soul refusing to be comforted.  They didn't get the gracious answer they wanted and wouldn't be consoled till obtained answers of the questions we see in verses seven through nine.
"Days of trouble must be days of prayer; when God seems to have withdrawn from us, we must seek him till we find him. In the day of his trouble the psalmist did not seek for the diversion of business or amusement, but he sought God, and his favor and grace. Those that are under trouble of mind, must pray it away. He pored upon the trouble; the methods that should have relieved him did but increase his grief. When he remembered God, it was only the Divine justice and wrath. His spirit was overwhelmed, and sank under the load. But let not the remembrance of the comforts we have lost, make us unthankful for those that are left. Despondency and distrust under affliction, are too often the infirmities of believers, and, as such, are to be thought upon by us with sorrow and shame. When, unbelief is working in us, we must thus suppress its risings" (Matthew Henry)

Over and over again in the Scripture we're told to cry out. Why is that? I'm not sure except that I think sometimes we feel a little foolish saying aloud out of the earnestness and desperation of our hearts, "Lord, I need You!" But if we don't come to the place of verbalizing it, our hearts may not have been sufficiently humbled. 

No comments:

Post a Comment