Thursday, February 25, 2016

Psalm 88

"Loved one and friend You have put far from me,
And my acquaintances into darkness." v.18

Read chapter 88
This is a sad psalm that doesn't have a resolve in or at the end of it.  The psalmist cries out to God and declares the truths he knows of God and His ways but seems to be worn out by it.  He doesn't seem to give up in his prayers to God though as if it's the only thing left to cling to.  
This verse eighteen from the NKJV is a little different from other versions that change some meaning.

You have taken from me friend and neighbor—

    darkness is my closest friend. (NIV)

Thou hast put far from me lover and friend, Mine acquaintance [is] the place of darkness! (YLT)

You have caused my beloved and my friend to shun me;
    my companions have become darkness. (ESV)

So we see that the psalmist's loved ones and friends have gone from him and his closest friend now is darkness (not that his friends are in darkness as the NKJV seems to suggest). He had no friends anymore and when he tried to take a friend it was only darkness that abounded.  Sometimes that's when you realize how valuable friends and loved one are if you didn't before. When has been a time that all your friends have gone from you and darkness is your closest friend?  Did you cling to God in prayer during that time?  What hope can you be reminded of during those dark days of your soul?  How can you value better friendships around you today?

No comments:

Post a Comment