Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Psalm 81

"I am the Lord your God,
Who brought you out of the land of Egypt;
Open your mouth wide, and I will fill it...He would have fed them also with the finest of wheat;  And with honey from the rock I would have satisfied you." vv.10,16


Read chapter 81
Today's Thanksgiving when I'm reading and writing this devo and kind of ironic about opening our mouth wide and talking about filling it with finest of foods to satisfy.  I was asked to bring sweet potato casserole for the Thanksgiving meal I was invited to with another family.  I've never made it before and want to make sure I do it right on such a special holiday where food is such a delight.  Someone told me there's a premix I could just buy that just takes a few minutes than the hour or two to do it from scratch.  Yet as I debated for many reasons what method I wanted to cook I thought, "Why do we settle for cheap substitutes when God wants to fill us with something that really does satisfy?"

"God wants to satisfy our thirsts and our deepest longings. God has a provision for our thirst. He created the thirst. He made us in such a way that we are not filled without Him, and He wants that thirst to drive us to Himself as the provision. Now it's encouraging to me to know as I read God's Word that God wants to satisfy my thirsts and my deepest longings. They will not all be satisfied this side of heaven. That's important to remember, but God does want to satisfy my thirsts and my deepest longings" (reviveourhearts.com).

I'm going to make the sweet potato casserole from scratch, knowing that it will be worth it for that extra homemade taste.  I'm also going to take this day of no work to open wide my mouth and heart for God to satisfy my heart and deepest longings.  

No comments:

Post a Comment